Coming to Heerlen by flight, you can choose for international airports like Amsterdam (NL), Brussels (B), Düsseldorf (D), or regional airports as Eindhoven (NL), Köln-Bonn (D), Liège (B).
Maastricht – Aachen airport is at 20 km distance, but has only flights to and from popular holiday destinations: http://www.maa.nl/nl/vluchten/bestemmingen.
Connections from airport to Heerlen
- Amsterdam (NL): train from Schiphol to Heerlen. Depending on the train, you have to change ones or not. It takes about 2,5h.
- Eindhoven (NL): local bus to Eindhoven railway station, train from Eindhoven to Heerlen, about 1h.
- Brussels (B): train from Brussels airport to Brussel north, change train: Brussels north to Liège, change train: Liège to Maastricht, change train: Maastricht to Heerlen. It takes about 2,5h.
- Düsseldorf (D): train from Düsseldorf airport to Aachen. change to bus: Aachen Hauptbahnhof (= central station) to Heerlen. It takes about 2,5h.
- Köln/Bonn airport (D): train Köln airport to Köln hauptbahnhof (central station) to Aachen. Change to bus: Aachen Hauptbahnhof (= central station) to Heerlen. It takes about 2h.
- Liège (B): take a bus to Liège Guillemines (= central station). Take train Liège to Maastricht. Change train: Maastricht to Heerlen.
The main train station is situated in the city center. Three other train stations in Heerlen are Heerlen de Kissel, Heerlen Woonboulevard and Hoensbroek. The Euregio-line from Aachen Hbf to Heerlen has train travelling twice per hour.
Information about the Dutch railway system: http://www.ns.nl/; tt http://9292.nl/en you can plan your trip from door to door in the Netherlands.
Information about the German railway: http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/.
Information about the Belgian: http://www.belgianrail.be/nl.
Websites are available in English as well.
You can find taxis waiting on the upper level when exiting at front of the train station.
The Netherlands has no student discount, so prices can be quite high in comparison to your country. Belgium has a 10 trips discount card which can be used by several people. Go pass < 26 years, rail pass > 26 years. http://www.belgianrail.be/en/travel-tickets/passes-cards/rail-pass.aspx
German railway system has a discount card: 25% or 50% card. If you take a long distance train trip, a 25% bahncard can be beneficial: https://www.bahn.de/p/view/bahncard/ueberblick/bahncard25.shtml
The bus terminal is close to the back exit of the train station. The bus operator in Heerlen and surrounding cities is Veolia. There is one international bus line from Aachen to Heerlen.
Heerlen is situated along the A76 highway. You need to get on the N281 if traveling south or north (there is no exit to Heerlen on the A76). From Aachen by car you will have to take the N281. From Maastricht take the A79 to Heerlen. Heerlen is at the end of the A79. You can also use the inner ring of parkstad to get to Heerlen.
If you come by car, be aware you have to pay parking spots at Golden Tulip hotel, not at van der Valk hotel and not at Nivon House.
If you want a parking spot at Zuyd University, please email for a reservation Rianne.email@example.com